Written by Philip L Yuson
Problem Management Objective
- Provide long term fixes to existing or possible incidents
Definition of Terms:
- Problem - cause of an incident
- Error - design flaw or malfunction
- Known Error is created once the root cause is known
Problem Management Activities
- The first step in problem management is to detect the problem. The problem is identified through pro-active or re-active problem management. Most often, information on problems come from Incident Management
- After the problem has been identified, the problem is logged.
- The problem is then categorized and prioritized
- If the problem is approved for investigation, the group responsible for the problem investigates and diagnoses the problem.
- Once the root cause is known or a workaround is in place, a known error is raised.
- A resolution is determined. Management may decide not to fix the problem. If the resolution is not approved, the error is updated and the problem is closed.
- If the problem requires change, the fix goes through Change Management and Release Management.
- Once the change has been done, the problem is closed.